Tuesday 22 May 2012

Pilates - experience the Barre

Pilates Barre beach side
Yesterday I decided to try something old but new - Pilates Barre. I was once hooked on the pilates reformer machine, so when I saw that a studio in Miami was offering pilates barre, I just had to try it!
The barre system is simply adding a ballet barre to the floor practice. The class was full, which was surprising since the studio just launched this concept. I guess women are really excited to get their foot up on a barre!
We started with basic pilates moves on the mat and then moved to the barre. I felt like I was in an ab, yoga, ballet class all in one. When I got out of bed this morning, my quadriceps were sore. I don't think I ever felt any major soreness from pilates on the reformer machine. It just goes to show that there's nothing like stretching your muscles by using solely your body weight. All those complicated machines you see at the gym have their advantages, but using my own body weight provides the best results for me. Not only do I reap physical benefits, but the mental bliss is priceless.
While out by the pool this morning, I couldn't help but relive my pilates barre experience using a railing. Though the class was enjoyable, the barre part is nothing more than stretching on any random rail. So next time you're walking around your house, get your foot up on that railing and bend forward. Breathe and bend a little deeper - this is called Pilates Partout.