Thursday 29 May 2014

I Bow

Social media was exploding yesterday with quotes, images, even videos of Maya Angelou, after news broke of her death. I knew her words made a lasting impression on many, but I never realized the breadth of her admirers. Most were sharing their favorite quotes from a woman who met success by telling the human truth. Her autobiographies were inked in her traumatic experiences, ancestral suffering, and pride in her triumphant uprising. 
I bonded with Maya Angelou in her book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and through her poem, I Rise. By wide acclaim, she will go down in history as a pioneer for black women or any woman tangled in struggles and fear. After reading her beautiful words, in many posts yesterday, I offer you this reminder -
If Maya Angelou influenced you in any way, let her last words be your truth:
I will forever dance like I've got diamonds at the meeting of my thighs.
Thank you for your words that will forever echo in my thoughts. I rise and I bow to your divine spirit. RIP